Questions for Reflection & Discussion
Part 1: What are you looking for? (John 1:35-42)
- Are you a curious person? Do you ask questions? Do you like to keep learning new things?
- Are you open to God? Are you seeking? Why or why not?
- What are you looking for? What do you hope to find?
- Where have you been looking, so far?
- What does your pattern of seeking say about you and your approach to life? To your relationship with God?
Part 2: Who do you say I am? (Matt. 16:13-17)
- Who has Jesus been for you in your life? How well do you know him? Or do you just know about him? Explain.
- If Jesus were to ask you right now, “Who do you say I am?”, how would you answer?
- In what ways could you grow in knowing Jesus and in your love for him?What might you do differently?
Part 3: What do you want me to do for you? (Mk 10:46-52)
- Have you had an experience where you called out to Jesus, “threw off your cloak,” and went to him for healing?
- How are you blind, now? In need of new sight?
- What prevents you from seeing?
- Do you trust Jesus? Do you love him? Enough to let go of whatever is holding you back?
- How would you respond to Jesus’ question: “What do you want me to do for you?”
Part 4: Why do you call me good? (Mk 10: 17-22)
Consider the following as part of a self-examination:
Attitude #1: To have a contrite and repentant heart.
- Have you ever acted in a way that was rude to others or said a careless word meant to hurt someone else’s feelings?
- Are there areas of your life where you have demonstrated “hardness of heart?”
- What did you do the last time you got things wrong? Did you feel sorrow and change your ways?
- How readily do you ask for forgiveness?
- How ready are you to admit when you’ve made a mistake? Or are you quick to make excuses and blame others?
Attitude #2: Humility.
- Do you like to brag and exaggerate your strong points? Are you ready to set the record straight when someone thinks more highly of you than you deserve?
- Do you ever find yourself comparing your abilities and qualities to other people?
- Are you quick to notice faults in others? In yourself?
- If you were really honest about it, what can you claim as your own?
- How do you stack up next to God’s “standards?” Is your “sight” even clear enough to make a good self-examination?
- Do you embrace your weaknesses, or are you more likely to deny them?
Attitude #3: Mercy and forgiveness toward others.
- How well do you handle injuries you receive from others?
- Are there people whom you have closed out of your heart?
- How ready are you to forgive? To let go of the wrongs done to you?
- Do you criticize others?
- How quick are you to put down public figures with whom you disagree?
- How well do you tolerate others’ mistakes? Their weaknesses?
Attitude #4: Compassion and caring for the needs of others.
- Who do you care about? Who don’t you care about? Why not?
- Do you put limits on how far you’ll go to help someone else? What is the motivation behind these limits?
- Do you find some people hard to love?
- Do you love people on your terms, their terms, or God’s?
- How ready are you to give of yourself and your life for another person?
Attitude #5 Purity of heart and action.
- How pure are your motives?
- Do you always act out of selfless concern for others?
- Do you act one way and think another?
- Do you ever act for show, to gain approval, or to gain advantage?
- Do you always tell the truth?
- Have you kept your mind and your body pure?
- When people see you, will they know who you really are, or will they see a phony image?
- Could you come before God and claim your heart has been true in all circumstances?
Attitude #6: Trust in God.
- How often do fear or anxiety determine your decisions?
- What do you avoid and why?
- How often do you bring your needs before God?
- Who do you rely on more: God or yourself?
- Do you “trust in God” mostly when it’s convenient or easy to trust?
- If someone reviewed your life over the last 72 hours, what evidence would they find of you “trusting in the Lord?”
Attitude #7: Reverence & fear of the Lord.
- Are all of your actions and decisions made with reverence for God?
- How do you honor God in your speech and your actions?
- Do you ever put yourself first before God?
- How ready are you to do all things out of honor for God and his will? Or do other things motivate you?
- How often do you offer God praise and adoration?
Attitude #8: Gratitude and thankfulness.
- How readily do you show gratitude to and for others?
- Do you carry a constant sense of gratitude for all of creation, for your abilities, for the people in your life, and for your blessings?
- Are you thankful for your weaknesses, your suffering, the plans you made that didn’t work out, or the troubles you face?
Attitude #9: Patience & perseverance.
- Do you have trouble waiting?
- How easily are you frustrated when things don’t work out the way you expected?
- Do you become irritated with others or with God when they don’t do something you want or when you want it done?
- Do you get easily discouraged when things don’t work out, when God doesn’t seem to be listening, or when others don’t do what they’re supposed to do?
- How well do you persevere following God’s will? Are you easily swayed by others?
Attitude #10: Hunger & thirst for God.
- Do you long to spend time with God in prayer, or does it seem a chore or duty?
- Do you welcome opportunities for spiritual growth?
- Do you long for opportunities to know, love, and serve God, or are you more likely to prefer occasions of pleasure, entertainment, and self-indulgence?
- Are you indifferent to everything except doing God’s will?
- Are you passionate about Jesus?
- How readily will you rearrange your daily schedule for God?
Attitude #11: A willingness to experience hardship and persecution for the kingdom of God.
- Do you feel privileged and look forward to opportunities to talk about Jesus with others?
- Are you indifferent to others misjudging you or receiving put downs because of your love for God?
- Do you hesitate to share about God in your life? What holds you back?
- Do you consider it pure joy to suffer for following Christ?
Part 5: Follow me. (Lk 5:1-11; Matt. 9:9)
- Looking over the things that have held you back from giving your life fully to Jesus, what can you do differently?
- What temptations will you face that will draw you back into slavery? What can you do to prevent these?
- Is Jesus asking you to do something new? How has he challenged you on this retreat? What are you going to do about it?
Part 6: What profit is there for one to gain the whole world yet lose or forfeit oneself? (Lk 9:23-26)
- What must you deny to follow Christ?
- What cross will you carry for Jesus?
- Where is Jesus leading you?
March 14, 2017